www-apache-bugdb mailing list archives

From Mark T.Delaney <dela...@shellus.com>
Subject general/2287: Webserver generates error #79 when trying to server pages from NT machine.
Date Tue, 26 May 1998 18:52:48 GMT

>Number:         2287
>Category:       general
>Synopsis:       Webserver generates error #79 when trying to server pages from NT machine.
>Confidential:   no
>Severity:       non-critical
>Release:        Apache 1.2.6
>Environment:
Webserver - SunOS surfer 5.6 Generic_105181-04 sun4u sparc SUNW,Ultra-60
Compiler - Gnu GCC 2.8.1
NFS Server - Windows NT 4.0 machine running Intergraph PC-NFS. (Trying to find
out version level, etc.)
HTML pages reside on the Windows NT machine and are served from the Webserver.
The Sun machine nfs mounts the Windows NT machine using Intergraph PC-NFS.
When The Solaris webserver tries to serve pages from the NT machine, the
following error is generated:

[Mon May 18 10:51:45 1998] access to /noelshtml/dr830438/ failed for 172.16.4.2,
 reason: stat: Value too large for defined data type (errno = 79)

The error is from the "stat" system command. The problem is resolved if the
disk is forced to be mounted using NFS version 2. This problem is not found with
Solaris 2.5.1. Solaris 2.6 allows for files larger than 2 GB, which is what
seems to be causing the problem. The stat command seems to think that it is
stat'ing a file larger than 2 GB. The filesystem is larger than 2 GB, but there
is no file larger than 2 GB in the directory. In the example above,
/noelshtml/dr830438/ is a directory. The directory contains an index.html file.
Specifying /noelshtml/dr830438/index.html does not work either.

This problem has been discussed in the comp.solaris.unix and
comp.infosystems.www.servers.unix usenet groups under the thread:
"Re: Solaris 2.6 and Apache 1.2.6 access problem"
>How-To-Repeat:
No, Sorry, but this is an internal server. I would be happy to test any fixes.
>Fix:
There is a stat64 command for Solaris 2.6.