www-apache-bugdb mailing list archives

From Marc Slemko <ma...@znep.com>
Subject Re: mod_include/3129: If-Mosified-Since checks wrong date on documents that should be mod_include processed
Date Sat, 03 Oct 1998 19:00:01 GMT
The following reply was made to PR mod_include/3129; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: Marc Slemko <marcs@znep.com>
To: Nicolai Langfeldt <janl@math.uio.no>
Cc: apbugs@hyperreal.org
Subject: Re: mod_include/3129: If-Mosified-Since checks wrong date on
 documents that should be mod_include processed
Date: Sat, 3 Oct 1998 11:57:01 -0700 (PDT)

 On 3 Oct 1998, Nicolai Langfeldt wrote:

 > Let .htaccess contain 'XBitHack full'.  This should fix the file modification
 > dates so they are the last of all the involved files.
 >
 > Let a proxy(squid 2.0) translate no-cache/reload to If-Modified-Since requests.
 >
 > Modify a included file.  Shift-reload the including page in netscape.  It will
 > not be updated.
 >
 > This of-course affects all programs wanting to use If-Modified-Since to get
 > new versions of SSIed documents.
 >
 > Conclution: 'XBitHack full' is not full.  Its partial.  This is either a
 > documentation feature or a software feature.  I'm partial to calling it a
 > software feature.

 I don't understand your problem.

 You are explicitly telling Apache to tell all clients that the document
 does not change unless the modification time on the single file changes.
 If that doesn't change, then why should the proxy reload it?  Exactly how
 it chooses to behave in this situation (ie. it can either listen to the
 last-modified and use that or ignore it since your client is reloading it)
 is completely up to it.

 What is being done wrong?