www-apache-bugdb mailing list archives

From Dominique Brazziel <dbrazz...@snet.net>
Subject mod_jserv/3652: NoClassDefFoundException for org/apache/jserv/JServ at Apache startup
Date Wed, 13 Jan 1999 06:04:54 GMT

>Number:         3652
>Category:       mod_jserv
>Synopsis:       NoClassDefFoundException for org/apache/jserv/JServ at Apache startup
>Confidential:   no
>Severity:       critical
I downloaded and installed JServ V1.01b on top of Apache V1.3.3 for Win32.
I followed the instructions re: setting wrapper.bin, wrapper.classpath, etc.,
but when I start up Apache, I get messages that the JVM started, crashed,
started, crashed, etc. (up to 5 retries).  I am able to access the web page
created by JServ, but the engine is not running.  The error log reports
java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError is the cause of each JVM crash:

     java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError: org/apache/jserv/JServ
Exception in thread "main" java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError: org/apache/jserv/JServ
Exception in thread "main" java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError: org/apache/jserv/JServ
Exception in thread "main" java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError: org/apache/jserv/JServ
Exception in thread "main" java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError: org/apache/jserv/JServ
Exception in thread "main" java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError: org/apache/jserv/JServ
Exception in thread "main" java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError: org/apache/jserv/JServ
Exception in thread "main" [Wed Jan 13 00:55:27 1999] [error] forcing termination of child
#0 (handle 132)

I noticed that the JServ config files used backslash ("\")instead of forward
slash for the path names (as Apache configs use), so I tried putting in
forward slashes, no luck.  I tried putting in directory info in wrapper.classpath
in addition to just pointing to ApacheJServ.jar but this didn't help.

This is a serious problem because the product does not work "out of the box"
as documented.  The error messages issued by mod_jserv are not helpful, and
the error messages in error.log are cryptic as well.  I passed "-verbose" to
java.exe to try and see what is going on and there are messages showing
the NoClassDefFoundException loaded for org\apache\java\jserv\Jserv followed
by zip.ZipConstants, but this is cryptic to me.

>How-To-Repeat:
Install JServ 1.01b on top of V1.3.3 Apache on a Win95 OSR2 machine with JDK1.2.
Follow the instructions in the doc.
>Fix:
Catch NoClassDefFound exception (and any other exceptions which could cause JServ
to fail) and issue a printStackTrace() for the exception to the log.  Dump
everything that could be relevant to the failure to the log.