www-apache-bugdb mailing list archives

From Ian Daniel <...@mirkwood.demon.co.uk>
Subject mod_proxy/3776: Proxy Authentication appears to be broken
Date Wed, 27 Jan 1999 00:23:48 GMT

>Number:         3776
>Category:       mod_proxy
>Synopsis:       Proxy Authentication appears to be broken
>Confidential:   no
>Severity:       serious
Hi,

Basically, we want to use Apache as a local server for our intranet and as a proxy, via another
proxy server
to the internet. The internet proxy uses basic authentication and works fine with the CERN
server, but we'd
rather use Apache as it's got other features we want to use.

When using Apache a browser connecting to an internet site will request authentication, as
it should do, the
problem is that authentication always fails. I can't give you any more information on the
problem as you don't
seem to have much in the way of debug output (the CERN server can be set to output headers
etc. so you see
what's going on e.g. Proxy-Authorize headers (are you ignoring these?)). If there's a way
I can get detailed
output I'd be interested in looking at it.
>How-To-Repeat:
Set up apache to use an authenticating proxy server.

e.g. Server_A ---------- Server_B (Basic Auth) ------ Internet

Server_A is set to send all external http requests on to Server_B who requests authentication
when first accessed.

>Fix:
No