www-apache-bugdb mailing list archives

From Duncan Wilcox <dun...@mclink.it>
Subject mod_include/4380: EXEC leaves zombies around on BSDI
Date Mon, 10 May 1999 12:54:47 GMT

>Number:         4380
>Category:       mod_include
>Synopsis:       EXEC leaves zombies around on BSDI
>Confidential:   no
>Severity:       serious
>Release:        1.3.6
>Environment:
Problem exposed on:
BSD/OS www.mclink.it 2.1 BSDI BSD/OS 2.1 Kernel #0: Thu Oct 29 19:13:53 MET 1998     sfratice@www.mclink.it:/usr/src/sys/compile/LOCAL1
 i386

Same problem also exposed on BSDI 3.0
When running under BSDI, pages containing EXEC correctly spawn children but the child process
is left hanging around. This takes the server to the max user limit very quickly, if the pages
is frequently accessed, making apache unable to serve further requests.
>How-To-Repeat:
>Fix:
I'm not sure about how this should be done. I have heard that one solution might be setting
SIGCHLD to SIGIGNORE in the parent or the child, but haven't been able to get it to work.