www-apache-bugdb mailing list archives

From Clinton Pierce <cli...@geeksalad.org>
Subject os-linux/4424: Error log file descriptors not closing.
Date Mon, 17 May 1999 04:11:02 GMT

>Number:         4424
>Category:       os-linux
>Synopsis:       Error log file descriptors not closing.
>Confidential:   no
>Severity:       serious
>Release:        1.3.3
>Environment:
RedHat Linux 5.2, gcc.

Server version: Apache/1.3.3 (Unix)  (Red Hat/Linux)
Server built:   Oct 13 1998 03:06:39
Server's Module Magic Number: 19980917:0
Server compiled with....
 -D HAVE_MMAP
 -D HAVE_SHMGET
 -D USE_SHMGET_SCOREBOARD
 -D USE_MMAP_FILES
 -D USE_FLOCK_SERIALIZED_ACCEPT
 -D HTTPD_ROOT="/etc/httpd"
 -D SUEXEC_BIN="/usr/sbin/suexec"
 -D SHARED_CORE_DIR="/usr/lib/apache"
 -D DEFAULT_PIDLOG="/var/run/httpd.pid"
 -D DEFAULT_SCOREBOARD="/var/run/httpd.scoreboard"
 -D DEFAULT_LOCKFILE="/var/run/httpd.lock"
 -D DEFAULT_XFERLOG="/var/log/httpd/access_log"
 -D DEFAULT_ERRORLOG="/var/log/httpd/error_log"
 -D TYPES_CONFIG_FILE="conf/mime.types"
 -D SERVER_CONFIG_FILE="conf/httpd.conf"
 -D ACCESS_CONFIG_FILE="conf/access.conf"
 -D RESOURCE_CONFIG_FILE="conf/srm.conf"
System running out of file descirptors.  Quick check of /proc/*/fd/* indicates
that any error log file descriptor that opens, is not closing.  Quickly running
against 65,000 limit max in Linux kernel.

This system hosts about 400 virtual domains, each with a Listen directive (Yes,
I have read the FAQ).  The problem is that each server instance is keeping
any error logs it has ever opened, open.
>How-To-Repeat:
Misc URL's on www.host-all.com give "unable to fork" errors.  Error logs
indicate there are not enough system file descriptors to fork().
Sample URL: http://www.anewdesign.com/echat36/public/
>Fix:
Look around for something that would keep the file descriptors open to just
the Error Logs!