www-apache-bugdb mailing list archives

From Cott Lang <c...@internetstaff.com>
Subject mod_jserv/4743: kill -USR1 httpd restarts JVM
Date Tue, 20 Jul 1999 14:48:40 GMT

>Number:         4743
>Category:       mod_jserv
>Synopsis:       kill -USR1 httpd restarts JVM
>Confidential:   no
>Severity:       non-critical
Since Apache can/will restart with -HUP or -USR1, and -USR1 is supposed to
cause a graceful restart, can -USR1 *NOT* restart Jserv?   In particular,
it's common practice to do manual log rotations followed by a kill -USR1
to cause apache to reopen the log files - however, this isn't a good idea
on an apache running Jserv as JServ is dropped dead in it's tracks and
restarted.
>How-To-Repeat:
Easily :)
>Fix:
I'm not sure of the ramifications of making Jserv not cleanup on -USR1. I
know mod_perl does NOT reload perl scripts unless you enable a configuration
option to force it to do so. Can we get a config option for jserv to force
it to keep Jserv running after a kill -USR1 ?