www-apache-bugdb mailing list archives

From "Cliff Woolley" <JWOOL...@wlu.edu>
Subject Re: mod_rewrite/4276: Rewriting with {prg:/my/rewriteprog} fails if URI contains %0A
Date Mon, 26 Jul 1999 07:30:01 GMT
The following reply was made to PR mod_rewrite/4276; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: "Cliff Woolley" <JWOOLLEY@wlu.edu>
To: <martin@schlund.de>
Cc: <apbugs@Apache.Org>
Subject: Re: mod_rewrite/4276: Rewriting with {prg:/my/rewriteprog}
	fails if URI contains %0A
Date: Mon, 26 Jul 1999 03:27:45 -0400

 I had this happen to me as well, and came up with a different
 work-around that I thought I'd mention here.  Use the built-in
 RewriteMap functions int:escape and int:unescape immediately before and
 after any external prg: type Map.  That way, you avoid this and several
 other potential special-character related problems, such as sloppy Perl
 code interpreting backquotes in URLs as shell commands, which is bad
 (not that I've ever had it happen to me ;-] ).  So you re-escape the
 URL, thereby translating the carriage return back to %0A and the URL
 becomes one line again.  Not necessarily better for this one problem,
 but worth mentioning.

 -Cliff

 Cliff Woolley
 Central Systems Software Administrator