www-apache-bugdb mailing list archives

From Ed Korthof ...@cloudfactory.org>
Subject Re: mod_jserv/4757: "POST" Parameter are not decoded when running an applet within netscape
Date Sun, 25 Jul 1999 00:15:25 GMT
Several things.  First, are you really sure that Netscape is wrong in
sending multipart/form-data as the content type?  Section 3.7.2 of RFC
2068 says:

     Note: The "multipart/form-data" type has been specifically defined
     for carrying form data suitable for processing via the POST request
     method, as described in RFC 1867 [15]

Perhaps I'm reading this wrong (it wouldn't be the first time), but it
does seem to suggest that Netscape's not necessarily wrong to use it.
Also, see RFC 2388, defining multipart/form-data:
	http://info.internet.isi.edu/in-notes/rfc/files/rfc2388.txt

OTOH, I can't find any reference to application/x-www-form-urlencoded w/in
RFC 2068.  What RFC talks about that?

Second, Netscape doesn't do this as an ordinary thing -- it is probably
specific to some of the Java code, or the code which the Java stuff
calls.

If a form contained a file upload element, it might be necessary to use
multipart/? to send the data ... though it's ambiguous as to whether or
not we should parse such a form submission (IMO).

Ed