www-apache-bugdb mailing list archives

From Iwan Standley <sle...@yahoo.co.uk>
Subject mod_negotiation/6282: Content negotiation being pedantic
Date Fri, 07 Jul 2000 11:13:19 GMT

>Number:         6282
>Category:       mod_negotiation
>Synopsis:       Content negotiation being pedantic
>Confidential:   no
>Severity:       non-critical
I'll explain by example, it's easier.

Say I've got four variants:
page.de.html
page.de.pdf
page.en.html
page.en.pdf

My browser is set to prefer html over pdf's, and the accept-language only contains 'en'.
If I request 'page' or 'page.en' I get page.en.html, just as I should.  But if I request 'page.de'
I get a '406 Not acceptable' error.  I know my accept-language should really contain a 'de'
if I want to read German, but if I just want to show an example German page to an English
browser, it's rather unrealistic to ask people to alter their browser settings.

If I request 'page.de.html' then I get the page fine, since no negotiation takes place because
I've explicity said which file I want.  But in my example I've already explicity said which
language I want -- can't mod_negotiation take the lead from there, and just perform the negotiation
between .html and .pdf?

It's especially a problem for me since I provide sites in lesser-used and minority languages,
so the correct language codes are hardly ever present in the user's browser's Accept-Language.

At the moment I've got an ErrorDocument pointing to a perl script which reads the Accept string,
works out the correct variant to send, then forces a redirect using the full file name.  Not
the best solution, I'm sure...
>How-To-Repeat:
See example above
>Fix:
Portions of the filename that have been specifically included in the request shouldn't be
taken into account when negotiating.