www-apache-bugdb mailing list archives

From Mani Akella <make...@warwick.net>
Subject general/6294: apachectl does not accomodate non-standard location of httpd.conf (config file name and location)
Date Mon, 10 Jul 2000 20:45:59 GMT

>Number:         6294
>Category:       general
>Synopsis:       apachectl does not accomodate non-standard location of httpd.conf (config
file name and location)
>Confidential:   no
>Severity:       non-critical
>Environment:
Server Version: Apache/1.3.12 (Unix) FrontPage/4.0.4.3
Server Built: May 1 2000 07:18:21

uname -a :
SunOS ns1 5.6 Generic_105181-19 sun4m sparc SUNW,SPARCstation-4

apachectl does not accomodate for a config file named other than httpd.conf -- also, if the
config file exists in any directory other than /usr/local/apache/conf, it does not find it.
(Did I miss something in my install?)

In my case, I am running multiple apache servers on one physical server, and hence have multiple
config files on one server.
>How-To-Repeat:

>Fix:
Below is the modification I madeto the apachectl file (I included the CONF variable in the
configuration section, and modified the rest of the script to take into account the conf file
location )
#!/bin/sh
#
# Apache control script designed to allow an easy command line interface
# to controlling Apache.  Written by Marc Slemko, 1997/08/23
# [ Modified by Mani Akella (2000/07/10) to include the config
# file path, for non-standard installations ]
#
# The exit codes returned are:
#	0 - operation completed successfully
#	1 -
#	2 - usage error
#	3 - httpd could not be started
#	4 - httpd could not be stopped
#	5 - httpd could not be started during a restart
#	6 - httpd could not be restarted during a restart
#	7 - httpd could not be restarted during a graceful restart
#	8 - configuration syntax error
#
# When multiple arguments are given, only the error from the _last_
# one is reported.  Run "apachectl help" for usage info
#
#
# |||||||||||||||||||| START CONFIGURATION SECTION  ||||||||||||||||||||
# --------------------                              --------------------
#
# the path to your PID file
PIDFILE=/home/www/apache-fp/logs/httpd.pid
#
# the path to your httpd binary, including options if necessary
HTTPD=/home/www/apache-fp/bin/httpd
# the path to your httpd.conf, including options if necessary
CONF=/home/www/apache-fp/conf/httpd.conf
#
# a command that outputs a formatted text version of the HTML at the
# url given on the command line.  Designed for lynx, however other
# programs may work.
LYNX="lynx -dump"
#
# the URL to your server's mod_status status page.  If you do not
# have one, then status and fullstatus will not work.
STATUSURL="http://localhost/server-status"
#
# --------------------                              --------------------
# ||||||||||||||||||||   END CONFIGURATION SECTION  ||||||||||||||||||||

ERROR=0
ARGV="$@"
if [ "x$ARGV" = "x" ] ; then
    ARGS="help"
fi

for ARG in $@ $ARGS
do
    # check for pidfile
    if [ -f $PIDFILE ] ; then
	PID=`cat $PIDFILE`
	if [ "x$PID" != "x" ] && kill -0 $PID 2>/dev/null ; then
	    STATUS="httpd (pid $PID) running"
	    RUNNING=1
	else
	    STATUS="httpd (pid $PID?) not running"
	    RUNNING=0
	fi
    else
	STATUS="httpd (no pid file) not running"
	RUNNING=0
    fi

    case $ARG in
    start)
	if [ $RUNNING -eq 1 ]; then
	    echo "$0 $ARG: httpd (pid $PID) already running"
	    continue
	fi
	if $HTTPD -f $CONF; then
	    echo "$0 $ARG: httpd started"
	else
	    echo "$0 $ARG: httpd could not be started"
	    ERROR=3
	fi
	;;
    stop)
	if [ $RUNNING -eq 0 ]; then
	    echo "$0 $ARG: $STATUS"
	    continue
	fi
	if kill $PID ; then
	    echo "$0 $ARG: httpd stopped"
	else
	    echo "$0 $ARG: httpd could not be stopped"
	    ERROR=4
	fi
	;;
    restart)
	if [ $RUNNING -eq 0 ]; then
	    echo "$0 $ARG: httpd not running, trying to start"
	    if $HTTPD -f $CONF; then
		echo "$0 $ARG: httpd started"
	    else
		echo "$0 $ARG: httpd could not be started"
		ERROR=5
	    fi
	else
	    if $HTTPD -t -f $CONF >/dev/null 2>&1; then
		if kill -HUP $PID ; then
		    echo "$0 $ARG: httpd restarted"
		else
		    echo "$0 $ARG: httpd could not be restarted"
		    ERROR=6
		fi
	    else
		echo "$0 $ARG: configuration broken, ignoring restart"
		echo "$0 $ARG: (run 'apachectl configtest' for details)"
		ERROR=6
	    fi
	fi
	;;
    graceful)
	if [ $RUNNING -eq 0 ]; then
	    echo "$0 $ARG: httpd not running, trying to start"
	    if $HTTPD -f $CONF; then
		echo "$0 $ARG: httpd started"
	    else
		echo "$0 $ARG: httpd could not be started"
		ERROR=5
	    fi
	else
	    if $HTTPD -t -f $CONF>/dev/null 2>&1; then
		if kill -USR1 $PID ; then
		    echo "$0 $ARG: httpd gracefully restarted"
		else
		    echo "$0 $ARG: httpd could not be restarted"
		    ERROR=7
		fi
	    else
		echo "$0 $ARG: configuration broken, ignoring restart"
		echo "$0 $ARG: (run 'apachectl configtest' for details)"
		ERROR=7
	    fi
	fi
	;;
    status)
	$LYNX $STATUSURL | awk ' /process$/ { print; exit } { print } '
	;;
    fullstatus)
	$LYNX $STATUSURL
	;;
    configtest)
	if $HTTPD -t -f $CONF; then
	    :
	else
	    ERROR=8
	fi
	;;
    *)
	echo "usage: $0 (start|stop|restart|fullstatus|status|graceful|configtest|help)"
	cat <<EOF

start      - start httpd
stop       - stop httpd
restart    - restart httpd if running by sending a SIGHUP or start if
             not running
fullstatus - dump a full status screen; requires lynx and mod_status enabled
status     - dump a short status screen; requires lynx and mod_status enabled
graceful   - do a graceful restart by sending a SIGUSR1 or start if not running
configtest - do a configuration syntax test
help       - this screen

EOF
	ERROR=2
    ;;

    esac

done

exit $ERROR

# ====================================================================
# Copyright (c) 1995-1999 The Apache Group.  All rights reserved.
#
# Redistribution and use in source and binary forms, with or without
# modification, are permitted provided that the following conditions
# are met:
#
# 1. Redistributions of source code must retain the above copyright
#    notice, this list of conditions and the following disclaimer.
#
# 2. Redistributions in binary form must reproduce the above copyright
#    notice, this list of conditions and the following disclaimer in
#    the documentation and/or other materials provided with the
#    distribution.
#
# 3. All advertising materials mentioning features or use of this
#    software must display the following acknowledgment:
#    "This product includes software developed by the Apache Group
#    for use in the Apache HTTP server project (http://www.apache.org/)."
#
# 4. The names "Apache Server" and "Apache Group" must not be used to
#    endorse or promote products derived from this software without
#    prior written permission. For written permission, please contact
#    apache@apache.org.
#
# 5. Products derived from this software may not be called "Apache"
#    nor may "Apache" appear in their names without prior written
#    permission of the Apache Group.
#
# 6. Redistributions of any form whatsoever must retain the following
#    acknowledgment:
#    "This product includes software developed by the Apache Group
#    for use in the Apache HTTP server project (http://www.apache.org/)."
#
# THIS SOFTWARE IS PROVIDED BY THE APACHE GROUP ``AS IS'' AND ANY
# EXPRESSED OR IMPLIED WARRANTIES, INCLUDING, BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE
# IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY AND FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR
# PURPOSE ARE DISCLAIMED.  IN NO EVENT SHALL THE APACHE GROUP OR
# ITS CONTRIBUTORS BE LIABLE FOR ANY DIRECT, INDIRECT, INCIDENTAL,
# SPECIAL, EXEMPLARY, OR CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES (INCLUDING, BUT
# NOT LIMITED TO, PROCUREMENT OF SUBSTITUTE GOODS OR SERVICES;
# LOSS OF USE, DATA, OR PROFITS; OR BUSINESS INTERRUPTION)
# HOWEVER CAUSED AND ON ANY THEORY OF LIABILITY, WHETHER IN CONTRACT,
# STRICT LIABILITY, OR TORT (INCLUDING NEGLIGENCE OR OTHERWISE)
# ARISING IN ANY WAY OUT OF THE USE OF THIS SOFTWARE, EVEN IF ADVISED
# OF THE POSSIBILITY OF SUCH DAMAGE.
#
# This software consists of voluntary contributions made by many
# individuals on behalf of the Apache Group and was originally based
# on public domain software written at the National Center for
# Supercomputing Applications, University of Illinois, Urbana-Champaign.
# For more information on the Apache Group and the Apache HTTP server
# project, please see <http://www.apache.org/>.
#