www-apache-bugdb mailing list archives

From Patrick Bihan-Faou <patrick...@mindstep.com>
Subject general/7518: "satisfy any" does not work when no authentication is defined
Date Wed, 04 Apr 2001 22:16:57 GMT

>Number:         7518
>Category:       general
>Synopsis:       "satisfy any" does not work when no authentication is defined
>Confidential:   no
>Severity:       serious
>Environment:
FreeBSD nitro 4.2-STABLE FreeBSD 4.2-STABLE #0: Sat Mar  3 16:47:49 EST 2001     patrick@nitro:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/NITRO
 i386

but this is not relevent...
/path/to/a    may require authentication (config generated from DB) so "AuthType" may or may
not be defined in <Directory /path/to/a>.

/path/to/a/b  never requires authentication

In order to accomodate this, I added "satisfy any" and 'allow from all' in the <Directory
/path/to/a/b> section.

If "AuthType" etc. is defined in <Directory /path/to/a> everything works as expected.

If "AuthType" is NOT defined, then access to /path/to/a is granted (this is OK), but access
to /path/to/a/b results in an Internal Server Error.

"Satisfy All" does not suffer from the same problem: if no authentication is defined, only
the access restriction (allow/deny) are checked and access is granted based on that.
>How-To-Repeat:
The following configuration should trigger the bug.

<Directory /path/to/a>
#   AuthType                Basic
#   AuthUserFile            /usr/local/etc/apache/passwd
#   AuthName                "login test"
#   require                 valid-user

    Order allow,deny
    Allow from all
</Directory>