www-apache-bugdb mailing list archives

From David Hampson <dhamp...@pullman.com>
Subject config/7542: FollowSymLinks - Doesn't
Date Sun, 08 Apr 2001 19:28:42 GMT

>Number:         7542
>Category:       config
>Synopsis:       FollowSymLinks - Doesn't
>Confidential:   no
>Severity:       non-critical
Create a user account, http://localhost/~user/  From the user's default directory "Sites"
on my machine, create a link to another directory belonging to user (ln -s ~/Documents/Humor
in my example)  When I open the web browser to http://localhost/~user, I see the contents
or the "Sites" directory, but the link to "Humor" responds with Error 403.

Note, I can follow links from http://localhost/ to directories located on a completely different
hard drive.

Here is the contents of user.conf:
<Directory "/Users/dave/">
    Options Indexes Multiviews FollowSymLinks
    AllowOverride None
    Order allow,deny
    Allow from all
</Directory>

I have tried all sorts of combination of chmod and chgrp on the problem directories, but apache
still won't follow.

-Dave
>How-To-Repeat:
I posted this problem on Apple's discussion board.  One person replied saying he tried to
do what I wanted, and could not do it either.  He claimed to spend an hour trying.

I found several other similar situations in the bug reports here, but no solutions.  One stated
that if any <directory> does not have Options FollowSymLinks, then apache won't, but
I can't find anything missing.
>Fix:
No.