www-apache-bugdb mailing list archives

From Horst Weber <webba...@muc.de>
Subject build/7590: Build with shared objects: compiles ok, but during startup complains about "missing symbols"
Date Thu, 19 Apr 2001 18:40:13 GMT

>Number:         7590
>Category:       build
>Synopsis:       Build with shared objects: compiles ok, but during startup complains about
"missing symbols"
>Confidential:   no
>Severity:       non-critical
I tried to build Apache 1.3.19 on Solaris 2.6 with gcc 2.95.2 with
"--enable-module=most --enable-shared=max" (plus shared mod_ssl and static
mod_perl).

Everything seemed to go well, but during startup, Apache complains that the
mod_negotiation and mod_proxy modules have an unresolved symbol:

$> ./sbin/apachectl configtest
Syntax error on line 53 of /opt/Apache/conf/httpd.conf:
Cannot load /opt/Apache/libexec/mod_negotiation.so into server: ld.so.1: /opt/Apache/sbin/httpd:
fatal: relocation error: file /opt/Apache/libexec/mod_negotiation.so: symbol __floatdisf:
referenced symbol not found

(Both complain the same symbol, I have to comment out one module, to see the
error with the other.)

Commenting out the loading of these modules gives a successfully running server.

Fiddling with $LD_LIBRARY_PATH doesn't help.

My full "configure" call was:

SSL_BASE=../openssl-0.9.6a \
EAPI_MM=../mm-1.1.3 \
./configure \
  --prefix=/opt/Apache \
  --sbindir=/opt/Apache/sbin \
  --htdocsdir=/local/users/ftp/apache/WWW \
  --cgidir=/local/users/ftp/apache/cgi \
  --logfiledir=/local/users/ftp/apache/private/logs \
  --with-perl=/usr/local/bin/perl \
  --enable-module=most \
  --enable-shared=max \
  --activate-module=src/modules/perl/libperl.a \
  --enable-module=perl \
  --enable-module=ssl \
  --enable-shared=ssl \
  --disable-rule=SSL_COMPAT \
  --enable-rule=SSL_SDBM \
  --enable-suexec  \
  --suexec-caller=wwwadm \
  --suexec-docroot=/local/users/ftp \
  --suexec-userdir=WWW \
  --suexec-uidmin=1000 \
  --suexec-gidmin=1000 \
  --suexec-safepath="/usr/local/bin:/usr/bin:/bin"

>How-To-Repeat:
I don't know: I suspect that it's a problem of this specific setup.
Maybe it could help to know where this "__floatdisf" symbol comes from...
(Why are there no complains while compiling?)
>Fix:
I will try to compile the named modules static and see if this helps.