www-apache-bugdb mailing list archives

From "André" de Jesus <andre.je...@netc.pt>
Subject os-windows/7594: Apache + ActivePerl + Windows98 = ERRATIC
Date Fri, 20 Apr 2001 01:47:49 GMT

>Number:         7594
>Category:       os-windows
>Synopsis:       Apache + ActivePerl + Windows98 = ERRATIC
>Confidential:   no
>Severity:       serious
Hi

I am trying to setup a development environment with Windows98. I don't know if the problems
I describe here also occur with WindowsNT or other windows versions.

After looking for answers in the newsgroups for this problem, I tried to isolate the situation
as best as I could. The answers in the newsgroups didn't work at all.

Briefly, I can't reliably execute CGIs. Sometimes they work, other times they don't (when
they don't they are served for download instead of executing).

This seems to me indicative of a bug in Apache and the way it handles the browser sessions.

Is this correct, or is there something you could advise?

Thank You
>How-To-Repeat:
1. Have a functioning, default, ActivePerl installation.

2. Setup Apache with the original configurations (dont't change anything).

2a. Try the Apache configuration instructions for ActivePerl that come on their web site:
it doesn't work: scripts are treated as something for download.

3. Create purposefully a wrong shebang line in printenv.pl so that there is an Internal server
error: ex: #!/c:/perl/bin/perl.

4. After this, correct the shebang line, and next, in the same browser window where you got
the 500 error, refresh the page.

5. The script now works, and it works only in this browser session, not on other browser sessions,
and not other scripts either (ex: printenv2.pl, etc)!!!

6. Everything else, but I mean really everything else, including all that was written about
this subject in newsgroups, caused Apache to serve the script as something for download.
>Fix:
This seems to have something to do with the fundamental treatment of browser sessions that
handle scripts.