www-apache-bugdb mailing list archives

From Uhlar Matus <uh...@fantomas.sk>
Subject mod_auth-any/8698: htpasswd file location
Date Wed, 07 Nov 2001 11:35:44 GMT

>Number:         8698
>Category:       mod_auth-any
>Synopsis:       htpasswd file location
>Confidential:   no
>Severity:       non-critical
As the doc says, the .htpasswd file needs to be defined with full path,
otherwise it is searched in ServerRoot directory. We are using apache
for providing users webspace and do not wans to tell them either full path
nor give the access to any other directory then their DocumentRoot.
They can upload .htaccess file but they can't upload .htpasswd file anyway
>How-To-Repeat:

>Fix:
the AuthUser(DB,DBM)File defined in .htaccess should be imo searched in
the same directory as .htaccess. OF course i know security considerations,
but I think directive <Files> could be used to prevent access to that file
for users.