www-community mailing list archives

From Dirk-Willem van Gulik <di...@webweaving.org>
Subject Re: Government License
Date Wed, 02 Jul 2014 08:46:10 GMT

Op 2 jul. 2014, om 10:33 heeft Greg Stein <gstein@gmail.com> het volgende geschreven:

> On Wed, Jul 2, 2014 at 2:24 AM, David Welton <davidw@dedasys.com> wrote:
> > Closest I've seen in the 'free' area is licensing that forbids military
> > uses.
>
> Which is, once again, neither 'free software' nor open source because
> it goes against the definition.  You can't have it both ways: you
> can't exclude people from using it because they are military, gay,
> Illinois nazis, Alaskan women, Liechtensteiners or whatever else you
> happen to dislike.
>
> I'm with you, Jake.

But I would like to keep the line exactly there - near what is generally seen as some sort
of denial/exclusion to groups of _people_ based on some form of _prejudice_. As that follows
the various legal systems, interpretation of the constitution or whatever in most countries
(and almost certainly the contemporary interpretation of those).

Excluding certain types of use, certain institutions or other ‚non people’ things is just
as undesirable.

But I think the situation around this is a bit more complex there - and I think, we, as a
community, should cut developers a bit more slack. As there you run into the issue that local
laws, legislation and regulation. Which can force developers in specific communities to be
cautious for certain areas. A well known one is software used in nuclear installations; others
are medical (in quite a few countries), military (in very few) and aviation (decreasingly
the case).

Dw.