www-gui-dev mailing list archives

From Harrie Hazewinkel <harrie.hazewin...@jrc.it>
Subject Re: GUI-Dev
Date Wed, 22 Oct 1997 14:45:36 GMT
Maj Justin Seiferth wrote:

> Harrie, et al:
>
> I've integrated the Advent SNMP java-based toolkit into the GUI I've
> been working on- I can establish contact with snmpd and retrieve system
> information (from the OS obviously, not Apache) so I now is the time to
> start worrying about a configuration mib and how to integrate this into
> the server end.

I work on an upgrade of the SNMP-module for Apache in order to get
it in line with the IETF defined WWW-MIB.

> How would you fashion the configuration MIB and is the separate server
> idea still the best one for doing something which can read/write config
> files?  With the dynamic nature of the config directives I'm not sure
> what the best structure for a configuration MIB might be.

I have tried to think of something for a configuration MIB.
I believe this is quit difficult, since a lot of different
directives have to be grouped. Once this is done.
We have to write the tables in which the values can be set.
We also have to decided if we go for a more general option
or specific.
We have somehow to choose between:
a) a table in which 1 entry for 1 installed Apache has
lots of columns (in which each a seperate managed objects
(configuration directive) is defined.

or

b)
every configuration directive has a seperate entry.

For the choice of putting the configuration inside apache or
outside. The choice is do we want to "sighup" Apache after each
change in configuration. I believe the most easiest way is via
config-files, but this is actually not prefered, because
before responding an SNMP-set it must be sure that
the SNMP-set operation is possible. IMHO, this
is directly required if config files are used and
there can become inconsistencies between the running
configuration and the SNMP-setted configuration.

--
HA HA