www-gui-dev mailing list archives

From "Calvin Justin Seiferth" <seife...@www.disa.mil>
Subject SNMP MIB Structure
Date Thu, 23 Oct 1997 20:00:11 GMT
Harrie,

I had thought about dividing the MIB into tables for "core", "modules"
and "contributed" sections. Why?

Accounting for all the directives in one big MIB seems like a tough task
to me but breaking it up into variables associated with the major parts
seems workable- allowing the MIB to stay fairly stable across Apache
versions and various combinations of modules/functionality.

Each SNMP variable would be a string whose value would need to be parsed
to strip out the relevant info. For instance we could pass:

www.disa.mil:specialized.domain.mil:documentdirectory/subdirectory:directive:directive_value

as the value for the "core" variable.

I couldn't find a MIB which used this approach or addressed this issue
in an alternative way; any suggestions or does this seem like a workable
approach?

If the approach does seem workable here are some areas that are
confusing to me:

I don't understand how tables are constructed and queried very well.
Could you help me out in this area?

What object type would you recommend using?  It can't have any arbitrary
upper limit on length since my context idea could extend to very long
strings as it moves down a complex directory structure for instance
although perhaps 512 - 1024 characters would allow for this instance.

What are the particulars of the calling sequence which allows the
managed entity (aka the configuration server), snmpd and the agent to
interact.  I understand the snmpd <-> agent communication but how is the
snmpd<->configuration server communcation handled?  From the code I have
read it seems as if the configuration server "registers" itself with
snmpd and then snmpd in turn then just queries the managed object when a
get request is received or sends in a new value when a set directive is
issued.  Is this correct and are then intracacies here?  I was planning
on implementing this by just snagging what seemed to be the relevant
bits of mod_snmp.

Thanks...
Justin