www-gui-dev mailing list archives

From Rich Roth <r...@on-the-net.com>
Subject Re: Newbye question bis
Date Sun, 03 May 1998 18:12:58 GMT
On Sun, 3 May 1998, Gary E. Bickford wrote:

> At 4:42 PM -0000 5/3/98, Rich Roth wrote:
> >On Sun, 3 May 1998, Dominique Broeglin wrote:
> >
> >>         Does someone work on a PHP (http://www.php.net) interface for
> >> apache ?
> >
> >The way I see it, the Q is one of having a functional platform - how can
> >you use PHP pages to manipulate the configuration files of the web server
> >that is running the PHP ??
>
> Pretty much the same way you can use perl, or cgi-bin/c, or whatever.  I

No, because none of those structures reply on a language that is running
of the web server that is being configured.

> use PHP for a number of server-monitoring tasks, including running top, df,

So do I, but that still is not controlling the server itself.  What
happens if the new configuration has a problem -- the gui won't be
foolproof (as much as we'd like it to be), now you are dead.  Also, how to
you get started in the first place - makes bootstraping a whole extra
effort.

I know PHP runs both as a mod_php (which is what we do) and as CGI -- can
it run totally stand-alone ??

> and other server applications.  But I think Java on both server & client is
> best (as long as I can run it on the Mac's perennially-late-jdk).

I have mixed feelings about Java -- too much setup (esp, as to having the
right set of support class libs) and still too flaky for me.

> Primary
> reason is the relative cleanliness and simplicity of socket connections,
> etc. which make the interface truly wysi, not paged like a web form.

Totally agree - see my comments on Webmin I'll get out in a day or so.
That's there real downside of pure HTML based interfaces.

> As I recall, Stronghold's web-based configuration tool uses Python, which
> is also a server-side scripting tool.

It is and does -- it also relies on a configure server to configure the
main server -- BTW, it is only server side Python, although there are
client sided versions for all platforms I know of.

> All you're doing is manipulating text files (httpd.conf, srm.conf,
> mime.types, etc. depending on version/preference) and 'HUP'ing the server.

> The latter is the only ticklish bit. - run a suid script?  Guess I'll have
> to take a closer look at the Stronghold tool.

That's why it has a 2nd server.

> I could definitely see a dbm-style database of configuration parameters,
> with the output the appropriate .conf files.  To go farther, I'd like to
> have a config tool that can be itself configured to support other items,

That's why there is no GUI as yet -- most have tried to do too much to
start with.

> like the Dynamo java-based engine.  Now, if THAT configuration was doable

That's that ?? (URL ?)

Later ...

Rich Roth --- On-the-Net

Direct:	 Box 927, Northampton, MA 01061, Voice: 413-586-9668

Email: rich@on-the-net.com                     Url: http://www.on-the-net.com
   ~~~   www.i-depth.com lets you Add Instant Depth to your Website    ~~~
     ~~~  Adding depths to Web presences and Internet providers  ~~~~~