www-gui-dev mailing list archives

From "Gary E. Bickford" <ga...@fxt.com>
Subject Re: Newbye question bis
Date Sun, 03 May 1998 17:05:55 GMT
At 4:42 PM -0000 5/3/98, Rich Roth wrote:
>On Sun, 3 May 1998, Dominique Broeglin wrote:
>
>>         Does someone work on a PHP (http://www.php.net) interface for
>> apache ?
>
>The way I see it, the Q is one of having a functional platform - how can
>you use PHP pages to manipulate the configuration files of the web server
>that is running the PHP ??

Pretty much the same way you can use perl, or cgi-bin/c, or whatever.  I
use PHP for a number of server-monitoring tasks, including running top, df,
and other server applications.  But I think Java on both server & client is
best (as long as I can run it on the Mac's perennially-late-jdk). Primary
reason is the relative cleanliness and simplicity of socket connections,
etc. which make the interface truly wysi, not paged like a web form.

As I recall, Stronghold's web-based configuration tool uses Python, which
is also a server-side scripting tool.

All you're doing is manipulating text files (httpd.conf, srm.conf,
mime.types, etc. depending on version/preference) and 'HUP'ing the server.
The latter is the only ticklish bit. - run a suid script?  Guess I'll have
to take a closer look at the Stronghold tool.

I could definitely see a dbm-style database of configuration parameters,
with the output the appropriate .conf files.  To go farther, I'd like to
have a config tool that can be itself configured to support other items,
like the Dynamo java-based engine.  Now, if THAT configuration was doable
via itself,... Hochstaeder (sp?) would be proud.   (ref. "Godel, Escher,
Bach: The Eternal Golden Braid")