From "David P. Caldwell" <da...@code.davidpcaldwell.com>
Subject API for determining where to get archived versions
Date Mon, 19 Dec 2016 20:35:17 GMT
I have an installation system that uses
http://www.apache.org/dyn/closer.cgi?asjson=1 to determine what mirror
to use when installing Apache distributions.

But it appears to me that mirrors only contain the "latest" (or
"recent") versions of software.

When I need a specific version (that may not be the latest), it seems
like I need to go to https://archive.apache.org/dist/ to get it. So I
have hard-coded this as the "mirror" in the system.

I notice there are backups in the JSON returned, but they aren't
"archives" either, just presumably other mirrors that I can check if a
mirror is down.

Is hard-coding the above URL the best way to do it? Is there another
mechanism I can/should use that would be more robust and/or friendlier
to the infrastructure to locate these files?

-- David P. Caldwell
http://www.davidpcaldwell.com/