www-mirrors mailing list archives

From jason andrade <ja...@rtfmconsult.com>
Subject Re: Apache.org mirrors: how-to-mirror update
Date Sun, 23 Feb 2003 04:49:25 GMT
On Sat, 22 Feb 2003, Joshua Slive wrote:

> We can check the server, but we really have no control over the clients.
> We consider the rsync repository to be a public resource, so it is
> difficult to control client access.

which is fair enough but i wasn't suggesting enforcing this - i was
just asking to get a message sent out to mirrors to please upgrade
and make it something for new mirrors to check.

also to add something to the motd (please make sure you are using
the latest version of rsync 2.5.5 blah..)

> I don't think increasing the limit will do any good.  When a screwed up
> client comes along, it will eat up any number of available connections.
> Increasing the connections would just increase the damage that the bad
> client does to the server.

i figured that - sometimes when you have more slots (and a lower timeout)
it helps alleviate the pain.

> Having other rsync locations is certainly possible.  The only reason I
> haven't personally pushed this is that it increases the complexity of the
> mirroring system, and I like simple things.  It would also mean denying
> general rsync access to www.apache.org.  But this may be the way to go.

i would limit rsync access to www.apache.org to mirrors only - but i was
more suggesting that you have two sets of mirror shares - one which
any mirror can access (and has a certain user limit) and another which
only some mirrors can access (host acl list).

regards,

-jason