www-modproxy-dev mailing list archives

From Graham Leggett <minf...@sharp.fm>
Subject Re: mod_cache and the proxy.
Date Thu, 16 Nov 2000 14:51:20 GMT
rbb@covalent.net wrote:

> I have really spent a lot of time in the proxy today, and a lot of my
> opinions have changed.  Here is where we are right now IMHO.
>
> 1)  The cache that is in the proxy.  This is messing up the code and
> should be removed.  The cache is done for Apache 1.3, and that is just
> wrong for 2.0.  I plan to spend some time tomorrow afternoon to rip the
> cache out of the code.

Effectively mod_proxy should be 100% straight through - with the request
from Apache being forwarded as-is to the backend, and any reply being
returned again as is into the filter chain (so that uncompressed backend
webservers can pass through compression filters, etc etc).

> 2)  BUFF.  This is wrong.  We can remove a lot of duplicated code if we
> can use filters for the back-end communication.  I think I see how to do
> this VERY cleanly, but I need to actually write the code.  Expect this to
> be done tomorrow sometime.

Ok.

> 3)  mod_cache.c.  This needs to be done.  Since there are arguments
> against putting it into CVS before it is ready, I am considering setting
> up a CVS repository on my home machine to allow people to collaborate on
> this cleanly.  I would ask people to give me a day to get this all
> setup.  If somebody already has a CVS server setup for public use, and
> they want to host this module until it gets stable, please speak up.

I've been meaning to put some more detailed effort into the design docs
that I posted a few weeks ago, but I've been snowed under with a burning
project and it's been taking up too much of my time. How close to the
design is the mod_cache you have created?

Regards,
Graham
minfrin@sharp.fm		"There's a moon
					over Bourbon Street