www-modproxy-dev mailing list archives

From Graham Leggett <minf...@sharp.fm>
Subject Re: mod_cache and the proxy.
Date Thu, 16 Nov 2000 20:06:26 GMT
rbb@covalent.net wrote:

> > What I want to do is build in content negotiation into that as well. In
> > other words, you provide hostname:port/URI *and* the request headers,
> > and based on both you get a response back. This will allow you to cache
> > both an English and French representation of the same URL, or a
> > compressed and non-compressed representation of an URL at the same time.
>
> Interesting.  I need to think about that more, because it changes the hash
> structure I had thought about last night, but it should be VERY cool.

Letting the cache hander handle content negotiation inside itself
prevents some kind of weird mapping between URLs and their multiple
representations being necessary outside the cache. This can be hidden
inside the cache engine, which could probably find a fast an efficient
way of storing the entities so that telling them apart is easy to do.

One of the broken assumptions of the previous mod_proxy was that there
was only one object representation per URL. If different content was
negotiated, the previous cache entry was invalidated when it need not
have been.

> The filter is an actual filter, which is what I have at least
> started.  The content generator is the handler.  I have a design for it,
> but no time to actually write it.  I think we could have a working cache
> in under a week of somebody takes what I posted yesterday, and just works
> on it for a day or two.

I don't know enough about filters to hack at this yet, which is why I'm
keen to see some real code to start hacking against that would teach me
how filters work. Once a rough skeleton is in place, I'd like to start
making it generate conditional requests within Apache.

Regards,
Graham
minfrin@sharp.fm		"There's a moon
					over Bourbon Street