www-modproxy-dev mailing list archives

From Graham Leggett <minf...@sharp.fm>
Subject Re: Hello! (fwd)
Date Mon, 18 Dec 2000 18:51:07 GMT
Gabriel Russell wrote:

> As I looked at the code around headers, I saw a lot of hard-coded stuff.
> Every header that you may need to add modify or remove needs some specific
> code. It seams that there is an obvious need for a header-rewrite function.
> This way all of these proxy-lb/gw header customizations could done in
> configuration files via a standard interface. I'll put this idea on my back
> burner for a bit and see what cooks up.

Be very careful with this - there are lots of things in HTTP/1.1 which
deal with cache expiry which go to some lengths to ensure that it is
clear how old files are and they are cached correctly. If arbitrary
options are added to the proxy that break the spec it's unlikely to be
accepted as a change.

> A driving factor behind most of my modification ideas are to create a
> cacheing gateway that will increase the reliability of a completely
> unstable site. Ideally, my completely dynamic website could go down for
> several seconds, which it does all the time, and the cache would handle
> most of the requests over that time.

This kind of thing could probably have specific modes of behavior - in
this case "offline mode" (needs a better definition, but I'm tired)
where the should the backend be queried and the request fails or takes
longer than a certain amount of time (5 seconds, whatever), cached data
is returned in the meantime.

Regards,
Graham
minfrin@sharp.fm		"There's a moon