www-modproxy-dev mailing list archives

From Graham Leggett <minf...@sharp.fm>
Subject Re: ProxyPass does cache the data, but gives 502 when the real host dies...
Date Wed, 14 Mar 2001 21:43:02 GMT
Jeroen Massar wrote:

> Boo :)

Aaaaaargh!!! Don't wake me up like that...!

> - The CacheRoot dir contains mangled filenames, could
> these be non-mangled, preserving their original names
> and path so I could put them into the /other/ dir
> effectively mirroring on-demand... see also point 3...

The mangled filenames are designed for speed and uniqueness, as well as
an even distribution across the filesystem - all performance issues.

> - It also caches it correctly, except for some non-static
> files... which headers are required to make sure a file will be cached into the cache?

On HTTP/1.0, it's the Pragma header (simply "Pragma: no cache"). The
Expires header gives the time when the object becomes non-fresh, as will
be revalidated.

On HTTP/1.1, it's the Cache-Control header, which has a whole lot of
options, like no-cache (same as "Pragma: no-cache"), no-store, and a
whole lot of others. Each object representation is represented by an
Etag (electronic tag?) which is a unique string which changes when the
object changes. This allows very fine control over whether an object is
fresh or not.

> - Whenever I turn off box2, box1 will start spitting
> 502's (Bad gateway - proxy error) because it can't contact
> box2.
> Is there a fallback to serve directly from the cache (at
> least the data it has... the rest should 404... ) ?

In theory using the Expires header correctly should support this, but
often browsers will send a conditional request for checking whether
cached data has changed - and this ends up all the way at the backend
which isn't there - so a bad gateway gets sent back up the chain.

This is something I am keen to sort out in the v2.0 mod_proxy - handling
of dodgy or unreliable backend servers in a useful way. To do this
though means doing some things that break HTTP/1.1, so they'll have to
be special configuration options, and not the default.

One way of doing this is - when the "special mode" is on - replace a 502
Bad Gateway result from a conditional response with a 304 Not Modified.
This way when the browser or the intermediate proxy asks "is my cached
copy fresh" the Apache proxy will say "yes" - even though the backend
server is toasted and there is no way of being sure.

There is nothing that can be done about normal requests - if the backend
is dead and nothing is cached then there is nothing the browser can show
(502 Bad Gateway). Sending a 404 is a bad idea - could send someone
mailing in saying "the file is missing" when in fact the server was
missing, sending admins on wild goose chases.

Regards,
Graham
minfrin@sharp.fm		"There's a moon
					over Bourbon Street