www-modproxy-dev mailing list archives

From Gabriel Russell <g.russ...@ieee.org>
Subject Re: ProxyPass does cache the data, but gives 502 when the real host dies...
Date Fri, 16 Mar 2001 22:17:07 GMT
At 10:43 PM 3/14/2001 +0100, you wrote:
>This is something I am keen to sort out in the v2.0 mod_proxy - handling
>of dodgy or unreliable backend servers in a useful way. To do this
>though means doing some things that break HTTP/1.1, so they'll have to
>be special configuration options, and not the default.

Are you sure they would break http/1.1?
Doesn't this section (13.1.1) possibly cover the dodgy backend server
situation?

"If a stored response is not "fresh enough" by the most restrictive
freshness requirement of both the client and the origin server, in
carefully considered circumstances the cache MAY still return the response
with the appropriate Warning header (see section 13.1.5 and 14.46), unless
such a response is prohibited (e.g., by a "no-store" cache-directive, or by
a "no-cache" cache-request-directive; see section 14.9)."

I'm not saying that there shouldn't be "special configuration options" for
these things, but I'm just not totally convinced that it would be breaking
http/1.1

- Gabriel