www-modproxy-dev mailing list archives

From dean gaudet <dgaudet-list-modproxy-...@arctic.org>
Subject Re: Timeouts -- how to implement ???
Date Wed, 28 Mar 2001 17:33:57 GMT
a technique i've used for such code is to have a pool of pre-connected
sockets to the internal servers.  that way when you get a request you
don't have to wait to get a new server connection... and you don't have to
spend time annoying the user timing out when one of your servers is down.

this sort of thing only works well in a threaded or state-based server.

you need to play a bit with the algorithms for populating the pool.
start off with one conn to each server.  have a periodic task wake up to
add conns to servers if there's deemed to be insufficient for the load
you're experiencing (or remove conns if the load has dropped).  and
whenever you finish using a server conn, immediately relaunch one to that
server (this maintains the pool size).

-dean