www-modproxy-dev mailing list archives

From Graham Leggett <minf...@sharp.fm>
Subject Re: canonical url encoding and myfamily.com
Date Wed, 06 Jun 2001 15:20:29 GMT
Jeff Sapp wrote:

> We offer proxy service, and some of our
> customers are having trouble accessing pictures on www.myfamily.com.
> It appears that their servers don't like dealing with the encoded
> characters. (I'd paste a real url, but you have to have a login to their
> site). As far as I can tell, both of these URLs should be legitimate and
> its a bug on their side.
>
> www.myfamily.com/~foo.jpg      works just fine
> www.myfamily.com/%7Efoo.jpg    does not work (returns document contains no data)
>
> My questions are:
>
> Is encoding these characters part of the proxy's job?

No - encoding them is the browser's job. The % encoding is used to
transfer odd characters in URLs. In theory the proxy is not supposed to
do anything with these sorts of URLs, and transmit them as-is.

> Is there an easy way to turn this off?
> Is there any reason I shouldn't turn this off? (the browser sends it this way)
> Could I just add it to "allowed" characters list in proxy_util.c?

What exactly is the proxy doing to these URLs...? Can you find out what
URL is sent to the remote server when you get an URL with a % in it from
the browser?

Regards,
Graham
minfrin@sharp.fm		"There's a moon