www-modproxy-dev mailing list archives

From Brian Degenhardt <...@mp3.com>
Subject Re: Streaming and a slow client
Date Thu, 30 Aug 2001 16:58:30 GMT
This is a huge pain in my neck.  We stream/deliver mp3s through mod_proxy
and if you've got some guy on a 14.4 dialup downloading a 10meg mp3, the
backend server gets a connection tied up the whole time.

It's tricky though.  For cgi accellerators, you can rely on your tcp buffer
size to pull in the whole document.  However, you can't buffer 10 megs in
ram  because you'd run out of memory with just a handfull of streams.
What's needed is some sort of disk based buffering mechanism.

Would something like this be useful for the distribution?  I've been playing
with mods like this on the side, if you guys want I might be able offer a
patch to accomplish this via a config directive.