www-modproxy-dev mailing list archives

From Graham Leggett <minf...@sharp.fm>
Subject Re: RFC2616 question for proxy
Date Fri, 03 Aug 2001 21:05:12 GMT
Chuck Murcko wrote:

> RFC2616 states that proxies must remove any transfer-coding (see end of
> message for quoted section). The way I read this is that updating
> Content-Length after dechunking an origin server response body is a hint
> that it'll be needed for sending the body back as response to a non-HTTP
> 1.1 client.
>
> So, in this case, an HTTP 1.1 proxy will need to buffer the entire
> chunked origin server response body before sending it to a non-HTTP 1.1
> client with a Content-Length header.

In theory (as I understand it) no.

If you are receiving chunked bytes from the backend server, there won't
be a Content-Length.

The dechunk filter will turn the incoming bytes into a simple byte
stream of unknown length, and pass these bytes up the filter chain until
the bytes run out.

A filter at the top will notice there is no Content-Length, and instead
of adding one, will chunk the output - and the chunked encoding will be
re-added again at the end.

Thus - no problem (Unless I misunderstand this)...

Regards,
Graham
minfrin@sharp.fm		"There's a moon
					over Bourbon Street