www-modproxy-dev mailing list archives

From Graham Leggett <minf...@sharp.fm>
Subject Re: Reverse Proxy
Date Sat, 25 Aug 2001 08:46:55 GMT
Mohamed Elashmawy wrote:

> I am sorry but when we are using a reverse proxy, what should be present
> in the httpd.conf?

All you need is this:

ProxyPass / http://backend.example.com/
ProxyPassReverse / http://backend.example.com/

The first line does the actual reverse proxying. The second line makes
sure that redirects (in the form of Location: headers) are translated
properly so that you don't end up bypassing your proxy.

Remember that your browsers are only going to see the reverse proxy - so
make sure your URLs are correct to the proxy, not the backend machine. A
general rule to avoid problems is to make sure that your URL on the
frontend and the URL on the backend are the same, eg:

ProxyPass /some/section/ http://backend.example.com/some/section/
ProxyPassReverse /some/section/ http://backend.example.com/some/section/

Regards,
Graham