www-modproxy-dev mailing list archives

From Graham Leggett <minf...@sharp.fm>
Subject Re: Reverse Proxy
Date Thu, 30 Aug 2001 21:57:42 GMT
Mohamed Elashmawy wrote:

> I've setup the reverse proxy.
> Is there a way to make apache change the absolute URLs.
> I mean that there are links that are sent to the client through the
> reverse proxy that point to the web server (absoute not relative) so
> when they are pressed they send the user to the webserver (They are not
> actually links but redirections but it's the same case)

Are you talking about URLs embedded inside the pages themselves? There
isn't a way of doing this (to my knowledge) just with Apache - however
trying to filter the URLs within the content is a bad idea, as there are
so many ways of getting it wrong.

First prize is to make sure all the links are relative. If this is not
possible, change the URLs so that they are absolute but without
hostnames, eg "/images/someimage.gif".

A good rule of thumb is to make the URL on the backend always the same
as the URL on the frontend, for example:

ProxyPass /images/ http://backend.com/images/

Then everything will just work...

Regards,
Graham