www-modproxy-dev mailing list archives

From Graham Leggett <minf...@sharp.fm>
Subject Re: Streaming and a slow client
Date Thu, 30 Aug 2001 22:16:57 GMT
Brian Degenhardt wrote:

> This is a huge pain in my neck.  We stream/deliver mp3s through mod_proxy
> and if you've got some guy on a 14.4 dialup downloading a 10meg mp3, the
> backend server gets a connection tied up the whole time.

This should be a feature of mod_cache.

Incoming cached data should be written to the disk cache, but the data
that is sent through downstream to the client should not be written at
the same time as it is now - it should be read separately from the
cached file. This way the fast backend and cache will rapidly fill the
disk cache file and end the backend request, while the frontend request
can be slow without being linked to the backend at all.

How will this impact performance though when the network is fast?

Regards,
Graham
minfrin@sharp.fm		"There's a moon
					over Bourbon Street