www-modproxy-dev mailing list archives

From Graham Leggett <minf...@sharp.fm>
Subject Re: Reverse Proxy
Date Fri, 31 Aug 2001 18:21:38 GMT
Mohamed Elashmawy wrote:

> I've made a rewrite rule that redirects all the requests of the absolute
> links to the reverse proxy.
> However, the problem now is in the images with absolute links as they
> don't come with the page.
> So I am gonna try filtering the pages while passing the proxy to change
> the URLs
> How can I filter URLs within the content of a page that the server
> sends? In which module is this?

As I said, filtering the URLs is very expensive and there is no
guarantee that the filtering process will get it right (how would it
change URLs coded inside Javascript, for example). There is no module I
know of that will do this directly.

The solution is a compromise: Make sure that you host the pages on the
backend with the exact same URLs you need on the frontend.

For example: If you want your graphic to be hosted at
http://www.company.com/products/widget/image.gif, then place that image
on the backend at http://backend/products/widget/image.gif.

Then: Make sure that your URLs say /products/widget/image.gif and your
site will work. Using the name "http://backend/" anywhere within your
URLs is a recipe for disaster - just change them in the code to absolute
URLs.

Regards,
Graham
minfrin@sharp.fm		"There's a moon