www-modproxy-dev mailing list archives

From Graham Leggett <minf...@sharp.fm>
Subject Re: Streaming and a slow client
Date Fri, 31 Aug 2001 18:32:33 GMT
Ian Holsman wrote:

> so are you suggesting we download the file first into our local cache,
> and then serve the file from there?

Almost.

> that won't work for streaming, as the client would have to wait for the
> whole file to be present before it would get a single byte.

Not at all.

You download the file to the local cache, and *while* this is happening,
you send the file downstream to the browser *at the same time*.

Effectively you read from the backend and write to the file, and at the
same time you read from the file and write to the network.

It is very important that this happens as it fixes a bug. The v1.3 cache
has a problem where until an entity is downloaded in full, multiple
requests will be made to the backend until at least one copy of the
entity has been downloaded in it's entirety and cached. Up to this point
there is a nasty load spike. The design of the new cache fixes this.

Regards,
Graham
minfrin@sharp.fm		"There's a moon
					over Bourbon Street