www-modproxy-dev mailing list archives

From Ian Holsman <i...@cnet.com>
Subject Re: Streaming and a slow client
Date Fri, 31 Aug 2001 16:02:19 GMT
On Thu, 2001-08-30 at 15:16, Graham Leggett wrote:
> Brian Degenhardt wrote:
>
> > This is a huge pain in my neck.  We stream/deliver mp3s through
> mod_proxy
> > and if you've got some guy on a 14.4 dialup downloading a 10meg mp3,
> the
> > backend server gets a connection tied up the whole time.
>
> This should be a feature of mod_cache.
>
> Incoming cached data should be written to the disk cache, but the data
> that is sent through downstream to the client should not be written at
> the same time as it is now - it should be read separately from the
> cached file. This way the fast backend and cache will rapidly fill the
> disk cache file and end the backend request, while the frontend request
> can be slow without being linked to the backend at all.
>
> How will this impact performance though when the network is fast?

so are you suggesting we download the file first into our local cache,
and then serve the file from there?

that won't work for streaming, as the client would have to wait for the
whole file to be present before it would get a single byte.

what we need IMHO is a non-blocking write on the client side (HTTP-OUT
filter I would guess) which wouldn't block until it gets a EOS

(not sure how hard this would be to implement)

--
Ian Holsman          IanH@cnet.com
Performance Measurement & Analysis