www-modproxy-dev mailing list archives

From Graham Leggett <minf...@sharp.fm>
Subject Re: Streaming and a slow client
Date Mon, 03 Sep 2001 16:21:52 GMT
Chuck Murcko wrote:

> Right, but consider delivering streaming content through a proxy, as
> opposed to just being an HTTP-cpmpliant proxy. That expands the problem
> and the solution a bit.

What is the difference between a "proxy" and an "HTTP compliant proxy"?
I only know about HTTP compliant proxies.

> One of the ways is to buffer some determinate (configurable) amount of
> the stream, as long as at least one client is accessing it. This solves
> the general case of what I think the original question was about, the
> scaling problem.

A stream by it's nature is exactly that - a stream. It cannot be cached
because different requests for the same stream will result in different
content each time.

Regards,
Graham
minfrin@sharp.fm		"There's a moon