www-modproxy-dev mailing list archives

From Graham Leggett <minf...@sharp.fm>
Subject Re: Streaming and a slow client
Date Mon, 03 Sep 2001 22:49:02 GMT
Chuck Murcko wrote:

> Consider a caching proxy designed to handle streaming media (it need
> only know that streaming data differs from other data). Let's say we can
> also specify a maximum size (to circular buffer) of this streaming data,
> and that we can refer to a connection pool to know we're already
> connected to the origin server for it, if that's the case.

Ok (the penny drops)...! :)

Possible problems with the circular buffer idea:

o Imagine two clients connect to a stream at roughly the same time. The
circular cache kicks in, and the single stream is split and sent to the
two clients. But - one client is on a slow line, the other on a fast
line - eventually the slower client lags so far behind it "falls off"
the tail end of the stream. At this point, what do we do? Force close
the "slow" stream connection?

o How do we detect whether we actually have a stream, and not just a
very big file. Maybe we should have a special cache module called
mod_mp3 that is able to intelligently read the headers of a stream,
split streams, and make sure a new mp3 header is placed on streams that
are chopped in the middle. This could be implemented as a filter/handler
combination.

o How are we to be sure that a client will be able to pick up a stream
in mid flow and not blow up by expecting a header of some kind?

Regards,
Graham
minfrin@sharp.fm		"There's a moon
					over Bourbon Street