www-modproxy-dev mailing list archives

From Eli Marmor <mar...@netmask.it>
Subject Charsets, Akamai, and Rock-n-Roll
Date Tue, 04 Sep 2001 06:18:50 GMT
Hi,

After having several problems with a site that I'm involved with, and that
I tried to access through mod_proxy of 2.0, I looked for another site (more
public) that has the same problems, and found http://www.ynet.co.il (don't
try to read it, unless you know Hebrew ;-)

Now to the problems:

1. The charset is different than the charset that is published by the
   original site.
   This is happenning because Apache RE-CREATES the "Content-Type" header,
   with its OWN default charset, no matter what the real site chose.
   I consider it a bug, and even without looking at any RFC, I'm sure it is
   "not what the author intended".
   We should not (re-)set such headers, even if they were empty (i.e. if we
   have "Content-Type: text/html", with no
		"; charset="
   after, we should pass it as-is).

   I worked around my SPECIFIC need by adding "AddDefaultCharset Off" (I
   could also comment the original "AddDefaultCharset"), but a more generic
   solution must be implemented.

2. There are still problems with akamai. The page I mentioned, fails in
   downloading 67 of its components. Many of them are akamai's, and the
   others have probably the same cause of problem (the number - 67 - is so
   high because the browser counts all the repeatitions).

General Details:
================

I use MSIE 5.0 under Windows 2000.

I compiled and ran the proxy under Solaris 8 with the latest GCC and libs
from sunfreeware.com:

./configure	\
	--prefix=/usr/local/apache2	\
	--enable-modules=most		\
	--enable-shared=max		\
	--enable-cache			\
	--enable-cache-filter		\
	--enable-proxy			\
	--enable-proxy-connect		\
	--enable-proxy-ftp		\
	--enable-proxy-http		\
	--enable-ssl=shared

The details of the site can be received by accessing it.

--
Eli Marmor
marmor@netmask.it