www-modproxy-dev mailing list archives

From Graham Leggett <minf...@sharp.fm>
Subject Re: handling 404's in reverse proxy.
Date Tue, 18 Sep 2001 18:57:52 GMT
Ian Holsman wrote:

> just wondering what people's position is on this one.
>
> should we be masking error pages coming from the reverse proxy
> with the 'standard' server responses from the main server.
>
> we really need to do something when we are using mod-include to include
> a reverse proxied subcomponent.
> at the moment it will show the 404 page from the r-proxy server.
> if we try to include a normal file, we get the SSI error message
> '[error]'.
>
> I'm proposing that proxy-http does the same thing, and mask the
> errorpages returned from the appserver

MSIE has this behavior - and it's bogus. A replacement 404 page could
mask the real content that is returned that could be more useful.

I have seen some people ask for this behavior though and yes, in some
cases it can be useful - at best it should be possible to enable 404
replacement with a config directive, but it definitely shouldn't be the
default.

Regards,
Graham
minfrin@sharp.fm		"There's a moon