www-modproxy-dev mailing list archives

From Daniel Barlow <...@telent.net>
Subject ProxyPass, caching and If-Modified-Since
Date Thu, 23 May 2002 14:56:40 GMT

I'm looking at proxy_http.c in 1.3.24, and wondering what would happen
if it added If-Modified-Since headers to any requests it does for
which it has a cached response already, using the Last-Modified time
of the cached response.

Why do I want to?  I have mod_proxy configured with ProxyPass and
ProxyPassReverse to front an application server, some of the responses
from which are quite computation-intensive and thus slow.  The
application server correctly sets Last-Modified and handles
conditional GETs, which saves some time when the same client requests
the page twice, but doesn't help if two different clients request the
same page.

Does this make sense?  I'm wondering whether (a) it breaks HTTP, (b)
it breaks some well-known client/origin server, (c) nobody else is
weird enough to need it, or (d) it's dumb for some other reason?  I
have a passing familiarity with HTTP, but I'm not exactly a domain
expert.

-dan

--

  http://ww.telent.net/cliki/ - Link farm for free CL-on-Unix resources