www-modproxy-dev mailing list archives

From Graham Leggett <minf...@sharp.fm>
Subject Re: 1.3.26 and missing Content-Type
Date Sun, 30 Jun 2002 14:44:37 GMT
Matthias Kurz wrote:

> Users reported a problem with pages like
>     http://cgi3.ebay.de/aw-cgi/eBayISAPI.dll?SignIn
>
> Problems: Crippled header and missing Content-Type.
> As far as i can see, the missing Content-Type leads to the usage of
> the DefaultType from httpd.conf. This is usually "text/plain" and leads
> to the effect that the HTML code is not interpreted but displayed as
> plain text.

I investigated this a while back. According to RFC2616 (if memory
serves), the assumed Content-Type when it is missing is
application/octet-stream (and thus Apache is wrong to be sending
text/plain anyway).

However: the bug lies with Ebay's code, and I don't think we should be
breaking either Apache or RFC2616 simply because a website chooses to be
broken. :(

Regards,
Graham
minfrin@sharp.fm