www-modproxy-dev mailing list archives

From Ian Holsman <Ian.Hols...@cnet.com>
Subject Re: Multiplexing proxy gateway requests to backend servers
Date Mon, 19 Aug 2002 15:27:41 GMT
On Mon, 2002-08-19 at 07:13, Bill Stoddard wrote:
> Consider mod_proxy used to serve as a proxy gateway (aka reverse proxy) to a
> set of backend servers.  Seems that it would be useful to maintain a pool of
> connections to the backend servers and multiplex HTTP requests over these
> connections (to save connection setup and takedown). Anyone have any ideas
> on whether this would be a worthwhile performance improvement?

I was thinking of doing something like this for quite some time.
the only issues I can see are
keepalives..
	* do they handle things like cookies per request or per
	  connection?
	* authentication
	* handling of keepalive timeouts might be tricky
	* ie.. do keepalives keep some state, I am never sure

there are also some other minor problems if you want to load balance the
backendservers, as that would break.

The reason I never pursued it was due to the backends we use being so
pathetic that they can't even handle simple Keep-alives without falling
over.

Oh apr_reslist would be a good starting point for this.

--
Ian Holsman
Performance Measurement & Analysis