www-modproxy-dev mailing list archives

From Alex Rousskov <rouss...@measurement-factory.com>
Subject Re: Multiplexing proxy gateway requests to backend servers
Date Thu, 22 Aug 2002 03:35:10 GMT
On Wed, 21 Aug 2002, Ask Bjoern Hansen wrote:

> Really?  What proxies aggregates requests from multiple end clients?

I know that Squid does. Some say Squid covers at least 50% of forward
HTTP proxy installations. I do not know for sure, but would be
surprised if most commercial caches (NetApp, Cisco, Cacheflow, iMimic,
etc.) do not maintain separate client- and server-side connection
pools. AOL probably does that too. Again, I cannot be certain about
commercial implementations (would have to check cache-off results for
a proof). Possible performance gains aside, it simply makes for a
better, more flexible design, I guess.

Alex.

--
www.measurement-factory.com | HTTP compliance+ - Co-Advisor test suite