www-modproxy-dev mailing list archives

From Amandeep Jawa <d...@worker-bee.com>
Subject Mod_Proxy Connection:Close Workaround?
Date Thu, 08 May 2003 08:21:44 GMT
Hi folks -

I hope someone can help or at least help me understand what is going
on.  I work at Apple and we are using an HTTP based protocol in iTunes
to implement song & database streaming over TCP/IP connections
(http://www.apple.com/itunes/ see the "New Music Sharing feature "
blurb).

Anyway our system presumes a persistent connection ala HTTP 1.1 but
whenever a request is directed through mod_proxy in Apache 1.3.24* a
"Connection: Close" header is added to the request, thus causing the
server to shutdown the connection that is supposed to persist.  When
the client makes the next request, it realizes the connection has
closed unexpectedly and assumes the server has been lost.

Can anyone explain what is going on? Why would mod_proxy think it is OK
to add a "Connection: Close" header?  Is there anything I can do on the
client to make this NOT happen?  I suppose a secondary solution would
be to figure out a server configuration that would disable this - but
I'd rather not go down that path if it can be helped.  Any ideas?

'deep

----------------------------------
Amandeep Jawa
Worker Bee Software