www-modproxy-dev mailing list archives

From Graham Leggett <minf...@sharp.fm>
Subject Re: Mod_Proxy Connection:Close Workaround?
Date Thu, 08 May 2003 08:29:36 GMT
Amandeep Jawa wrote:

> I hope someone can help or at least help me understand what is going
> on.  I work at Apple and we are using an HTTP based protocol in iTunes
> to implement song & database streaming over TCP/IP connections
> (http://www.apple.com/itunes/ see the "New Music Sharing feature " blurb).
>
> Anyway our system presumes a persistent connection ala HTTP 1.1 but
> whenever a request is directed through mod_proxy in Apache 1.3.24* a
> "Connection: Close" header is added to the request, thus causing the
> server to shutdown the connection that is supposed to persist.  When the
> client makes the next request, it realizes the connection has closed
> unexpectedly and assumes the server has been lost.

A connection: close simply tells the client that this server/proxy is
not prepared to support keepalives, which are the default behaviour for
HTTP/1.1, but is not required.

Apache v2.0 supports keepalives in the proxy (the proxy was redesigned
from scratch in v2.0), and will solve your problem.

> Can anyone explain what is going on? Why would mod_proxy think it is OK
> to add a "Connection: Close" header?  Is there anything I can do on the
> client to make this NOT happen?

Install Apache v2.0...

Regards,
Graham