www-modproxy-dev mailing list archives

From Bill Stoddard <b...@wstoddard.com>
Subject Re: modproxy load balancer
Date Fri, 13 Jun 2003 15:39:04 GMT
George Schlossnagle wrote:

> Isn't there ongoing discussion about incorporating mod_backhand into
> mod_proxy for this?
>

> George

Hi George,
Thanks for the reminder. I can't say that I have been paying much
attention lately, but this discussion goes back quite some time.

I am digging into the doc on mod_backhand  but still don't quite grok
how backhand works (I am still reading).  It appears to rely on all the
servers in the cluster being 'backhand aware' (for lack of a better
term) and that the servers communicate their status to each other via
UDP. Requiring all the servers in the cluster to be backhand aware
severly limits the usefulness of mod_backhand.  There would also be
potential security issues with the ports backhand aware servers use to
communicate with each other (none that could not be fixed if they even
exist at all).  Am I missing something important here?

Bill