www-modproxy-dev mailing list archives

From Graham Leggett <minf...@sharp.fm>
Subject Re: modproxy load balancer
Date Tue, 17 Jun 2003 19:06:56 GMT
Theo E. Schlossnagle wrote:

>> Proxy contains a placeholder (which should be replaced with a hook)
>> that says "I have a list of IP addresses, decide in what order I
>> should try these addresses here".
>>
>> My understanding of backhand is that it answers the above question -
>> in theory we could pull the code in by hooking it in.
>

> mod_backhand can also provide the list of IPs -- in fact, it would be
> best that way.

To rephrase it, mod_proxy should give an URL to one or more backend
modules (most likely backhand), which should return a list of IP
addresses saying "try these in this order".

The backend module might do simple DNS round robin in its simplest form,
going all the way up to all the functionality of backhand.

Regards,
Graham
minfrin@sharp.fm		"There's a moon
					over Bourbon Street